Learn about how a pineapple glut in the 1960s helped create one of the nation's first food influencers and more in a fascinating new podcast series from the State Library of Queensland.
The influencer in question was home economist Ruby Borrowdale - who was engaged by Golden Circle to write a cookbook to address the oversupply of the tropical fruit.
The Golden Circle Tropical Recipe Book went on to became one of the state's most influential cookbooks. The Sunshine State became synonymous with pineapple and the book secured Borrowdale's status as one of Queensland's earliest celebrity chefs.
Ruby's story is one of the many fascinating dessert related yarns shared in the podcast - known simply as Cake.
Presented by award-winning producer Kaitlyn Sawrey, the podcast explores the fascinating role sweet treats have played in the state's history and identity.
Over the course of the seven episodes, listeners will meet some of Queensland's fastest rising culinary stars on the world stage, and will explore food traditions of one of the world's oldest cultures.
Podcast highlights include:
- The Emerald mum who turned a baking side-hustle into an international success story.
- The Brisbane baker who created a life-sized Chevrolet Camaro cake (with working lights).
- Edible art, sensory dolls and mindful baking classes raising awareness for mental health.
- International pâtissier and Dessert Masters star, Adriano Zumbo, opening up about the highs and lows of celebrity baking.
- The unique buttercream developed for the Queensland climate.
- The mother of 10 who drove Defiance Flour Mills from a small Toowoomba business to a global food company.
- Attempting to solve the origin of the lamington, once and for all.
State Librarian and chief executive Vicki McDonald said the series is the perfect mix of contemporary interviews and fascinating historical stories.
"This entertaining podcast series will whisk you away to a place of sweet nostalgia just in time for Christmas," Vicki said.
Episodes one and two are available now, with the additional five episodes to be released weekly from November 22.
To listen click here.