Alleged Tinder rapist awaits trial in jail

Alleged Tinder rapist awaits trial in jail

National News
A man accused of sexually assaulting women he met on Tinder breached his bail conditions.

A man accused of sexually assaulting women he met on Tinder breached his bail conditions.

Aa

A Tinder user accused of sexually assaulting three women he met using the app will await his trial in jail after a judge heard that upon release he used anoth...

Aa

A Tinder user accused of sexually assaulting three women he met using the app will await his trial in jail after a judge heard that upon release he used another dating site under a false name.

Joshua Rini, 30, had his NSW Supreme Court bid for bail denied by Justice Peter Hamill on Thursday for two concerning issues, he said.

Rini is accused of continually forcing sexual intercourse on two women in May and December last year at a Glebe home, and on a 25-year-old in Woollahra in November 2017.

He met them all on Tinder.

"(The) allegations is their withdrawal of consent was unambiguous and clearly communicated," Justice Hamill said.

The carpenter was granted bail in August 2020 under strict conditions he was not to use any form of dating service on any platform.

But his bail was revoked in May after he accessed Tantan - a dating app predominantly used in China - using a "false name", the court was told.

Justice Hamill described it as a seriously concerning "flagrant breach" of a "self-evident" bail condition.

The judge was also worried by past criminal history in which he showed "somewhat demeaning violence directed towards a woman".

The fight with his then-partner was sparked in January 2020 over a restaurant payment.

His aggression continued back at his apartment where he threw food at the woman, pushed her in the chest, and kicked her leg, according to the facts of the case.

"Don't shout, be quiet," he said while grabbing her face and causing her head to jolt back.

"This is my place you need to follow my rules."

Justice Hamill said the crown case is strong if all three women are tried together, and much weaker given the issues of "consent" if they were separated.

Rini's defence is applying for three separate trials.

Defence lawyer Ivan Vizintin had argued that Rini's use of social media did not heighten his risk to the community.

"Tinder doesn't make it more likely he'll commit a further offence, it's incidental to the alleged offence," he said.

"The case is about what happened in the room with each of these complainants.

"It's not the crown case that Tinder was used in a nefarious way to lure the complainants to his home where the alleged sexual assault took place.

"Each complainant voluntarily attended his home and engaged in physical intimacy with him."

The lawyer pointed to one complainant's account of oral sex being promised before meeting him for dinner.

After consensual intimacy began, "she (said) she would just roll with it because he was good looking, she felt in control at this point when he was kissing her," Mr Vizintin said.

But at some point, that consent is withdrawn, and all cases show a pattern of offending, prosecutors allege.

"Each instance there was almost an immediate complaint," the Crown says.

Justice Hamill likened the use of dating websites to meeting at "singles bars," or the pub, saying a person would be banned from those premises if they faced charges of a similar nature.

"It is the fact that each and every one of these arose following the use of a similar (dating) platform," Justice Hamill said.

Born in the United Kingdom, Rini's defence applied for him to reside with his current partner and said he would respect an order to steer clear of dating apps.

His trial is due to go ahead next year.

Australian Associated Press

Aa