19 Kiama Street , Miranda, NSW 2228
|Accommodation Type||Aged Care|
Level Of Support
HammondCare Miranda offers residential care, independent living and at-home care services. Our dementia cottages are designed to encourage autonomy and dignity, and are made to feel like a home.
For those who are looking for at-home care, our HammondCare At Home services offer a number of ways to help older people and people living with dementia to remain at home for longer.
HammondCare Miranda is a dementia care home consisting of eight small, domestic cottages. Four cottages are home to 15 residents, and four are home to 8 residents.
Built for independence and familiarity
We believe that the best place for people with dementia to be is at home. When this is no longer possible, then our commitment is to provide an environment that looks, feels and operates like a home
Although they are small and familiar, the eight cottages within HammondCare Miranda have a variety of common spaces, allowing residents to choose where and with whom they spend their time.
Rooms and accommodation
The bedrooms and bathrooms in the HammondCare Miranda cottages have been designed to minimise confusion and maximise independence and comfort for residents.
Excellence in food and nutrition
HammondCare is committed to an excellent food culture. All food is prepared by staff in Miranda's domestic kitchens, with the help of residents.
Dementia design features
HammondCare Miranda has been built in line with best practice in dementia design, to enhance residents' sense of autonomy and dignity. Some of Miranda's dementia design features include:
- Back of house functions – deliveries and linen trolleys – separated from the cottage environment.
- Memory boxes with photos are located at the entrance to residents’ bedrooms to help them identify their private space.
- Distinct door handles and moulds in different cottages to help residents with dementia to find their rooms.
- Bedroom doors are offset from each other to reduce the likelihood of residents walking into someone else’s room.
- Residents have a direct line of site from their bed to the toilet, promoting independence.
- Direct line of sight from threshold of bedrooms to sunrooms, living rooms and kitchen, to help assist decision making and prompt way-finding.
- Door handles on the built-in wardrobes are highlighted to make them easier to identify.
- Wardrobe doors have highlighted panels to distinguish them and assist people to dress themselves independently.
- Colour-coded hot (red) and cold (blue) taps for safety.
- Toilet seats that contrast in colour to the bowl to promote independent toileting.
- Ensuite doors painted in contrasting colours to the walls around them to highlight the bathrooms.
- Grab rails that are painted are contrasting colour to the surrounding wall to make them stand out.
- Some lounge chairs have seat cushions and back rests with contrasting colours to provide visual cues to residents with dementia and poor eyesight.
Fixtures and maintenance
HammondCare Miranda is all single-storey and has no stairs. There are nurse call outlets located at important points throughout the buildings and all common areas in the cottages have brighter than average lighting for people with poor eyesight. The cottages also have reverse cycle air-conditioning.
HammondCare Miranda is located at 19 Kiama St, Miranda NSW 2228 in the Sutherland Local Government Area. It is conveniently situated near several public services, attractions and health facilities.
Nearby attractions include Westfield Miranda (3km), Southgate Shopping Centre (2.5km). Miranda RSL Builders and Businessmen’s Club (3km), Cronulla Beach (6.5km), Sydney Airport (15km) and Sutherland Hospital (3km).
HammondCare Miranda is close to a number of main roads in the Sutherland Shire including Port Hacking Road (500m), The Boulevarde (700m), Taren Point Rd (2km) and the Princes Hwy (2.5km). It is also within walking distance of Miranda Station and a short walk from the 971 (Cronulla to Hurstville) and the 972 (Miranda to Sylvania) bus routes, which connect with local shopping precincts and Miranda station.
The facility also has an on-site minibus which is used for taking residents on outings.
HammondCare’s Miranda site has a range of amenities for residents and their visitors including a men’s shed, a chapel, a hairdressing facility and 50 on-site visitor car parking spaces.
There are also plans to develop an integrated aged care campus with 92 independent living units and a village centre which will contain a wellness centre with a swimming pool and gym, a café, a children’s playground and gym, a lounge and reception area, a chapel, a hairdresser, a craft room and a multi-purpose room. Outdoor spaces in the ILU development will include a village green, a bowling green, a barbecue area, a giant chessboard, a putting green and vegetable gardens for residents.