Ageing independently and at home has never been more topical, so a new digital-first healthy service has been launched to help older people age their own way.
iLA has launched LiveUp, a new free, nationwide ageing service.
It includes a screening tool with expert advice connecting older people to local services, support networks and assistive products and equipment that will help them to age independently.
LiveUp gives older Australians the ideas, tools, and guidance to keep doing the things they already know and love, or to try something a bit different
iLA received federal government funding to create the website that supports early intervention and delays premature decline of a person's capacity to live or function independently.
General manager Andrea Morris said LiveUp will change the way we approach ageing.
"LiveUp gives older Australians the ideas, tools and guidance to keep doing the things they already know and love, or to try something a bit different," she said.
"The science shows that only 25 per cent of ageing is attributed to the genes we inherit; the remaining 75 per cent of ageing can be attributed to lifestyle choices we make.
"That's why LiveUp is designed to give people a breadth of opportunities to maintain or even improve their independence and add life to years, not just years to life.
"Older Australians will receive curated advice about low-cost products and equipment, known as assistive technology, that help with their activities of daily living.
"They can find locally relevant services and networks so they can stay supported and connected.
"The digital platform will grow and develop as we continue to add more resources.
"In simple terms, it creates a personal roadmap to take control of ageing.
"And that's whether someone is starting to feel a twinge or two or is a great-grandparent who could use aids and equipment to support their day-to-day tasks at home or in the community."
By understanding how to take control of many of the changes that occur from ageing, people can take action and enjoy a better quality of life. Each person holds the key to ageing in their own hands and minds.
- Details: www.liveup.org.au
- READ MORE: Just a minute, try the Laughie Challenge
- READ MORE: New tool assesses risks associated with pets in aged care