BETWEEN April 10 and 18, Port Macquarie will bustling with events and celebrations as the region marks its bicentenary year.
There are dozens of events scheduled across the region from artist open studios to foodie trails, open air painting and performance.
Marking the region's 200th year since European settlement is also an important opportunity to remember the history that was written well before this time by our traditional owners, the Birpai people, on whose land we live and share.
Wakulda: Weaving our Stories as One
Wakulda, Weaving our Stories As One, launches Port Macquarie-Hastings' bicentenary week of celebration on April 10.
It is an immersive, sound and light projection onto the Port Macquarie Historic Courthouse. This 10-minute production will envelop the audience, telling the important stories that make up the rich history of Port Macquarie from our traditional owners, the Birpai people through to the bicentenary of European settlement.
In addition to being the centerpiece of the celebration's nightly program, Wakulda is a federally-funded legacy project and will continue to be screened nightly beyond the bicentenary event period.
Wakulda will screen on a loop between 6pm and 9pm each evening.
During the event week, Wakulda will be accompanied by a nightly program of live music at Little Shack, exhibitions at the Historic Courthouse, Port Macquarie Museum, Maritime Museum Pilot Boat Shed, and the Glasshouse.
Artists' Open Studio Weekend
Twenty of the region's most talented creatives are opening their studios to the public on April 10-11.
Meet the artists and gain a unique insight into their creative process. Works will include paintings, drawings, sculptures, glass, pottery, ceramics, jewellery, metalwork, textiles and more.
Participating artists on April 10-11 include:
- MakerSpace Open Studio: 4 Albert Circuit, Port Macquarie from 10am-2pm
- Trudy Ebsworth-Espie: Ebsworth Pots, 286 Ocean Drive, Lakewood from 10am-4pm
- Terri Maddock Open Studio: Bonnyview Studio, 8 Kulla Place, Bonny Hills from 10am-4pm
- Bonny Hills Artists group: Rita Carosi, Brian Barker, Kim Madden, Julie Mills at 15 Kendall Crescent, Bonny Hills from 10am-4pm
- Jan Wilson and Caroline Baker Open Studio: Wilson Studio at 39 Rainbow Beach Drive, Bonny Hills from 10am-4pm
- Nicola McLeay Open Studio: Lighthouse Gallery at 159 Matthew Flinders Drive, Port Macquarie from 9.30am-5pm
- Vivianne Hazenveld Open Studio: Vivianne Hazenveld Art and Tuition at 56 Billabong Drive, Sancrox from 11am-2pm
- Gwen Roberts Open Studio: Artist's Open Studio at 23 Springhill Place, Lake Cathie from 10am-4pm
- The Out There Collective Open Studio: 2 Coachwood Close, Frazers Creek from 10am-4pm
- Yvonne Kiely Open Studio: 72 Home Street, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Sue Brangwin Open Studio: 15 Merrigal Road, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Tony Williams Open Studio: 262 Crestwood Drive, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Rose Burke Open Studio: 21 Shelbourne Place, Port Macquarie
- Skye Petho Open Studio: Arthouse Industries at 1/21 Clarence Street, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Rod Page Open Studio: Crystalline Pottery, 60 Jolly Nose Drive, Bonny Hills from 10am-4pm
- Maureen Hales Open Studio: Benjella Art Studio and Gallery at 13 Palmview Place, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Kim Staples Open Studio: Kim Staples Art of Life Studio at 48 Newport Crescent, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Kim McLean Open Studio: Kim McLean Art Gallery at 4 The Summit Road, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Gloria Muddle Open Studio: 10 Harbourside Crescent, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Aleisa Byfield Open Studio: 10 Bellbowrie Street, Port Macquarie from 10am-4pm
- Wayne Saunders Ironlord Forge Open Studio: 73 Quarry Road, Rosewood from 10am-4pm
The Coral Trekker - Sydney Harbour Tall Ship
The Coral Trekker will docked at Lady Nelson Wharf in Port Macquarie for us all to experience real maritime history with one hour sails, weekend lunch sails and daily dinner sails.
The Coral Trekker is a 23-metre, square rigged, wooden tall ship.
Tickets start at $15. Visit here for ticket information or call 02 8015 5571.
Take your taste buds on an adventure. Taste Trails are a series of curated self-drive itineraries providing maps, travel times and local insights into some of the region's best experiences, including:
Wine + Wonder: These are not your average wineries! Combine your tastings and cheese platters with horseriding, maze-running, chocolate-making, sculptural gardens, gourmet picnics and colonial history.
Brews + Burgers: Visit some of the East Coast's best brewers, then pair with some next level burgers and you've got a great day out!
Producers + Providores: pick your strawberries fresh off the vine, meet the farmer, get your oysters fresh from the river, watch your coffee beans being roasted, then take home some of the finest locally produced fare.
Creatives + Curios: Galleries with a twist, artist-made treasures, wheel-thrown clay and a koala sculpture adventure. There's something for everyone on this eclectic trail.
For all the details, visit www.portmacquarieinfo.com.au/tastetrails
There are also 40 satellite events to enjoy as a part of the region's bicentenary celebrations:
Saltwater Freshwater Arts Alliance Exhibition 27 Feb-18 April. Glasshouse Regional Gallery, Cnr Clarence and Hay Streets, Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie 200 Exhibition 27 February-18 April. Glasshouse Regional Gallery, Cnr Clarence and Hay Streets, Port Macquarie
Community Art Exhibition 10-18 April. Glasshouse Regional Gallery, Cnr Clarence and Hay Streets, Port Macquarie
Winnie the Unicorn Koala Sprinkles a Little Magic on History: Treasure Hunt 10-18 April. Hello Koalas Sculpture Trail, across the Port Macquarie-Hastings region
Governing Change Exhibition: Leanne Prussing 10-18 April. Port Macquarie Historic Courthouse, Cnr Clarence and Hay Streets, Port Macquarie
20 Decades, 21 Stories Exhibition 10-18 April. Port Macquarie Museum, 22 Clarence Street, Port Macquarie
Dance Mid North Coast Association Presents 'Gumba' 9-10 April, 5pm and 6.30pm. Town Green, Port Macquarie
200 Years On Exhibition: Ronnie Grammatica 10-18 April. Port Macquarie Coach Terminal, 97 Gordon Street, Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie Art and Craft Centre Open Days 10-11 and 17-18 April, 10am - 3pm. Port Macquarie Art and Craft Centre, 75 Gordon Street, Port Macquarie
Celebrating our Heritage at Mrs York's Garden: Open Day 10 April, 10am-3pm. Mrs York's Garden, Cnr Grant and Stewart Street, Port Macquarie
Port and Archives at Douglas Vale Historic Homestead & Vineyard 10 April, 10am-3pm. Douglas Vale Historic Homestead & Vineyard, 235 Oxley Highway, Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie Legacy Project Launch 10 April, 8.45am-5pm. Port Macquarie and Districts Family History Society, CC Mac Adams Centre, 33b Lord Street, Port Macquarie
The Jugged Hare Bush Band 10 April, 6pm-9pm. Port Macquarie Museum, 22 Clarence Street, Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie Hastings Pipes and Drums 10-18 April. Various pop-up locations across the region
Brick by Brick Clay Art Workshops 10-11 April, 1pm-4pm. Port Macquarie Museum, 22 Clarence Street, Port Macquarie
Grave Tales Walking Tours 10, 15, 16 and 17 April, 2pm. Port Macquarie Historical Cemetery, Gordon Street, Port Macquarie
Uncovering Our Past Walking Tours 10, 15, 16 and 17 April, 9.30am. Starting at the Glasshouse, Cnr Clarence and Hay Streets, Port Macquarie
'Live Action' Escape Walk 10, 11, 17, 18 April, 9am, 10am, 11am and 12pm. Behind Westport Club, 25 Buller Street, Port Macquarie
Open Night at the Observatory 11, 14, 16, 18 April, 8pm. Port Macquarie Astronomical Association, Rotary Park, Stewart Street, Port Macquarie
Paint Historic Port Macquarie: Prussingart 11 April, 2pm. Bluewater Bar and Restaurant, 1 Ocean Street, Port Macquarie
Film: Star Stories of the Dreaming 12, 13, 15, 17 April, 7.30pm. Port Macquarie Astronomical Association, Rotary Park, Stewart Street, Port Macquarie
Guided Tours: Sunset Framing & Gallery 12 - 16 April, 10am. Sunset and Framing and Gallery, 2/25 Central Road, Port Macquarie
Ironlord Forge Heritage Blacksmithing Workshops 12, 14 and 16 April, 10am and 2pm. Ironlord Forge, 73 Quarry Road, Rosewood
Historical St Thomas' Church Tours 15 and 16 April, 9.30am - 12pm. Anglican Parish of Port Macquarie, 50 Hay Street, Port Macquarie
Mrs York's Garden Tours 14 April, 9am-12pm. Cnr Grant and Stewart Street, Port Macquarie
The First Pilot: Dr Jonathan Drane Book Launch 14 April, 10.30am. Camden Head Pilot Station, 201 Camden Head Road, Camden Head
Uncovering our Past: Port Macquarie's Archaeology and HistoryWheelchair Accessible Bus Tour 14 April, 9.30am and 11.30am. Departing from the bus stop on Short Street, (in front of Plaza carpark/ Dept of FCS building), Port Macquarie
Premiere of 'Blackmans Point' Short Film by Big Mob Films and Panel Discussion 15 April, 5:30pm. Charles Sturt University Port Macquarie Campus, 7 Major Innes Road, Port Macquarie
Bush Tucker Tour 15 April, 10am. Sea Acres Rainforest Centre, 159 Pacific Drive, Port Macquarie
Muluman Tour: Birpai Guided Coastal Walk 16 April, 10am. Sea Acres Rainforst Centre, 159 Pacific Drive, Port Macquarie
Laurieton Historical Walk 17 April, 9am and 11am. Camden Haven Historical Society Museum, 58 Bold Street, Laurieton
A Night at the Museum + Night Market & Live Music 17 April, 4-8pm. Mid North Coast Maritime Museum, 2-6 William Street, Port Macquarie
The Lost Plot Open Day Celebration 17 April, 10am-3pm. Port Macquarie Community Gardens, Central Road, Port Macquarie
Paint in Town Green 17 April, 1pm-3pm. Town Green grass area in front of Zebu, Port Macquarie
Traditional Church Service at Port Anglican 18 April, 7.30am. Anglican Parish of Port Macquarie, 50 Hay Street, Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie 200 Exhibition Talk with David Martin 18 April, 11am-2:30pm. Glasshouse Regional Gallery, Cnr Clarence and Hay Streets, Port Macquarie
Hastings District Flying Club Open Day 18 April, 9am-3pm. Hastings District Flying Club, Oliver Drive, Port Macquarie Airport, Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie-Hastings Municipal Band 18 April, 11:30am. Port Macquarie Historic Courthouse, Cnr Clarence and Hay Streets, Port Macquarie
Port Macquarie Ozsemble! A Variety Showcase Performance 18 April, 2pm-3pm. Theatre Oz Port Macquarie, 3/1A Blackbutt Road, Port Macquarie
Glen Dick: Dreams, Nightmares and Reality Exhibition 10 July-5 September. Glasshouse Regional Gallery, Cnr Clarence and Hay Streets, Port Macquarie
- Information provided by Port Macquarie-Hastings Council correct at the time of publication.
- READ MORE: Treasured memorabilia on show to celebrate RAAF centenary
- READ MORE: Hall of fame transformation pushes boundaries of outback storytelling