Tropical lychees are very versatile and can easily turn simple dishes and drinks into something impressive with their unique flavour.
Whether you're looking to add a pop of freshness to a party platter, a pop of flavour to a fresh salad or a pop of fun into a cocktail, fresh Australian lychees are the perfect addition to summer.
Delicious and sweet, lychees are a rich source of vitamin C, providing 100% of your daily recommended needs in one serve (7 lychees). Lychees are also ranked second behind strawberries in antioxidant levels, and have a high-water content making them the perfect, refreshing summer snack and a delicious addition to your favourite foodie dishes this summer.
And the delicious fruit is now in season.
Lychee Blueberry Cupcakes (Makes 12 Cupcakes)
Created by Marie Duong for Australian Lychees
- 1/2 cup (approx. 12) fresh lychees, peeled & seeded
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup blueberries
Ricotta Lychee Frosting
- 200g firm ricotta
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (approx 5-6) fresh lychees, peeled & seeded
Method - Cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a cupcake tin with 12 cases.
2. Chop the fresh lychees into small 1 cm pieces. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar until pale yellow, light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and beat for a further minute, then fold in the flour.
4. Add the milk and stir until just combined. Fold through the blueberries and chopped lychees.
5. Spoon cupcake batter into the prepared cases until full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
6. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
1. Add lychees to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove any pulp - you should have about 4 tablespoons of lychee juice. Set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk together the ricotta, icing sugar and lychee juice.
7. Frost cool cupcakes and garnish with a slice of fresh lychee and a blueberry.