The borders to NSW are now wide open and everyone has the green light to hit the road and explore its 28 superb road trip adventures.
Discover the stunning diversity of the state - beautiful beaches and ancient rainforests, breathtaking mountains, bountiful food and wine trails and epic outback landscapes.
From well-known driving routes like the Greater Blue Mountains Drive, Grand Pacific Drive and Legendary Pacific Coast, to lesser-known drives such as High Country to Cruising Coast, Kamilaroi Contrasts and Stargazing and Storytelling, NSW has an adventure for every road tripper.
Just to take one example, the Legendary Pacific Coast, and is one of Australia's top road trips, stretching 900 kilometres along the Pacific Coast corridor. A suggested five-day adventure, its choices include:
- Terrigal (stylish beach town with plenty of cafes, fishing, diving, whale watching)
- Seal Rocks (Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse amazing ocean views)
- Port Macquarie (Koala Hospital, Billabong Wildlife Park)
- South West Rocks (wild kangaroos in abundance by the beach in Little Bay, historic Trial Bay Gaol),
- Coffs Harbour (Butterfly House and Big Banana - try the banana split sundae)
- Bellingen (artistic lifestyle, weekend markets)
- Yamba (charming old Movie Cinema, iconic Pacific Hotel)
- The Macadamia Castle (the name says it all)
- Byron Bay (alternative lifestyle, world class people watching, healthy eating)
- Kingscliff (just a 15-minute drive south of the border, alive with busy cafes and restaurants).
Visitors can take extra inspiration from the footsteps of six top Australian musicians who have been road tripping across NSW showcasing their experiences as part of a six-part YouTube video series titled The Long Road.
The Long Road features six of NSW's hero road trips:
- Sebastian plays golf and enjoys fresh local produce along the Grand Pacific Drive.
- Cassar-Daley follows his love for the ocean and fierce pride of his Bundjalung Aboriginal heritage on the 250km Rainforest Way drive, stopping along the way for a surf and some bush tucker.
- Indie star Amy Shark gets creative in the outback on the Darling River Run.
- Connie Mitchell from Sneaky Sound System cruises the Greater Blue Mountains Drive.
- Baden Donegal, lead singer from psychedelic indie rock band Ocean Alley, travels deep into the mountains on the Kosciuszko Alpine Way for a spot of fly-fishing.
- Rock duo Polish Club follow The Mighty Murray River Drive and discover history and adventure along the way.
Each includes an interactive, sharable and downloadable map, points of interest along the route, links to popular tourism businesses and an indication of drive time from Sydney or the nearest airport.
ARIA-winner Shark was blown away by her experience along the Darling River Run through Outback NSW, which stretchesfrom Walgett to Wentworth via Tilpa, Wilcannia, Menindee and more.
"It's been such an incredible and rewarding experience to be part of The Long Road. Taking the time to meet the locals, hear their stories and see where they call home, has been amazing," she said.
"I never thought I would ever visit the Darling River Run, Broken Hill and the surrounding areas and now I can't wait to come back!"
Share your favourite NSW Road Trips on social media by using the hashtag #LoveNSW and #NewSouthWales.
- READ MORE: Ultimate Campsites and Road Trip Cooking: don't leave home without them
- READ MORE: Ten tips on how to experience Australia in a new way