Bay to Birdwood shifts gears to virtual event

Bay to Birdwood set to roll - with a difference

News
MAGNIFICENT: A 1930 Chevrolet Universal Tourer, with a 1929 Alfa Monza Tourer in the background. Photo Lincoln Schultz.

MAGNIFICENT: A 1930 Chevrolet Universal Tourer, with a 1929 Alfa Monza Tourer in the background. Photo Lincoln Schultz.

Aa

40th-anniversary event features up to 1400 vehicles marking every decade of motoring.

Aa

IT'S not quite how classic motoring event The Bay to Birdwood expected to celebrate its 40th anniversary on September 27.

But coronavirus be blowed and celebrate it certainly will in a special event featuring up to 1400 vehicles marking every decade of motoring.

Bay to Birdwood chairman Michael Neale said the event will look different this year with the development of Heath SA-approved Covid-19 safety management plan.

"All the action of the day will be live-streamed and accessible from anywhere in the world via our various digital platforms," he said.

"The start and finish event sites will be exclusive to registered participants and their vehicles and not open to spectators this year, but the activities at these sites will also be live-streamed so our fans and followers won't miss a moment of the action."

Showcasing the collection, vehicles from all eras of motoring history will parade from West Beach to Birdwood, departing from Barratt Reserve, West Beach at staggered start times from 7.30am.

WHAT A BEAUTY: A classic Jaguar roams the road at last year's event.

WHAT A BEAUTY: A classic Jaguar roams the road at last year's event.

After vehicles have driven through the Adelaide Hills, they will finish at the National Motor Museum in Birdwood, which like the start will not be open to spectators this year.

Instead of entertainment or catering at the finish event site, participants will be encouraged to explore and support the Adelaide Hills parks, wineries, restaurants, pubs and tourism and visitor attractions.

"We are working closely with Adelaide Hills Tourism to create some great tips and suggestions on how to support businesses in the Adelaide Hills impacted by the Cudlee Creek bushfires earlier in the year and now Covid-19," Michael said.

The judging of the Concours d'Elegance and Preservation Award will take place on September 26, with the presentation to occur on September 29 in a ceremony presided over by SA Governor Hieu Van Le and his wife on the lawns of Government House.

READ MORE: Classic Holdens 'to jump in value'

READ MORE:Eight great things to love about Barossa Valley

Aa