Labor slams govt's aged care response

Labor calls on government to release a report into Earle Haven closure

Aged Care Royal Commission
Labor aged care spokeswoman Julie Collins wants the government to release its report on Earle Haven.

Labor aged care spokeswoman Julie Collins wants the government to release its report on Earle Haven.

Aa

Labor is calling for government to take immediate action on recommendations made by aged care royal commission's damning interim report of the sector.

Aa

LABOR has called on the federal government to release a report into a Queensland nursing home that was forced shut in July and had its licence revoked.

It comes as the party calls for the government to take immediate action on recommendations made by aged care royal commission's damning interim report of the sector

Nearly 70 residents were evacuated from Earle Haven in July following a pay dispute with staff and in August the aged care commissioner said the home failed to meet any quality standards.

Labor aged care spokeswoman Julie Collins said in light of the commission's damning interim report, the report into Earle Haven needed to be released.

Speaking to the media in Tasmania on Monday, Ms Collins said Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck had the report into Earle Haven and was yet to release it.

"Why won't the government release the report," Ms Collins said.

"All we are seeing from this government is weasel words, a lack of action and secrecy when it comes to aged care."

When asked if the government needed more time to review the commission's report released on Friday, she said it had been aware of the problems in aged care long before the report.

The commission heard Earle Haven used chemical restraints - sedatives or antipsychotics - on 71 per cent of patients and physically restrained 50 per cent of them.

Earle Haven went into administration when its pay dispute came to a head, with staff forced to call triple zero to evacuate the residents.

Labor set a "deadline" on Sunday for the government to act on the commission's recommendations before the Senate sat on November 11.

It wants immediate action to cut home care waiting lists, stop the overuse of drugs to sedate residents and to stop younger people with disabilities living in aged care.

There are currently around 120,000 elderly Australians on the waitlist for home care packages, something health department bureaucrats have said would cost $2.5 billion per year to fix.

The government has promised a "significant" package of funding by Christmas.

Australian Associated Press

While you're here... Want more stories like this from The Senior delivered straight to your inbox? Simply sign up, using the form below, for our regular e-newsletters packed with the latest health, entertainment, travel and lifestyle news.

Aa