Travelling by train in Japan is arguably the best way to explore this fascinating country. And in spring, when the landscape is alive with blossoms, it's an absolute joy.
From April 7-22 next year, Scott McGregor's Railway Adventures is offering a real treat for train lovers: Japan by Rail: A Cherry Blossom Spectacular.
Hosted by veteran travelller John Medcalf and led by experienced local guides, the fully escorted 15-night tour is designed to showcase the huge variety Japan has to offer.
This ranges from modern, neon-lit Tokyo to Kyoto, with its exquisite gardens, temples and cultural treasures, to Mount Fuji and its captivating blossoms, and more.
The tour also combines exquisite food, fine hotels and unusual events.
- Extensive rail travel using your JR Green Class (first class) Rail Pass, including journeys on the bullet trains
- Travel by steam train on the famous heritage railways of Yamaguchi, Oigawa, and the Paleo Express lines
- Rides on the Sagano Forest Railway, Tozan Mountain Railway, coastal "Resort" train and a vintage tram in Hiroshima
- Sumo wrestling in Tokyo and wacky fashions in Harajuku
- A cruise around the Matsushima Islands and Hiroshima Bay to Miyajima
- A stay at a stunning new rice paddy hotel and a luxury mountain spa
- The latest ultra-high-speed rail technology at the Mag-Lev test track
- The grand castles at Himeji, Hirosaki and Kyoto
- Five world heritage sites
- The unsurpassed modern railway museums in Tokyo and Kyoto
- A traditional full-course ryokan feast and a night with The Singing Chef in Sendai
The cost is $12,875 per person twin share; single supplement $3525.
Other tours coming up in 2020 include Vietnam by Private Train (March 16- April 2); Swiss Alpine Adventure (April 21-May 5 or September 8-22); and Borneo, including Anzac Day at Sandakan (April 22- May 4).
For more information and brochures call 1300-800-977 or visit railwayadventures.com