WHAT'S better than a delicious meal? Having enough leftover for another delicious meal!
But leftovers can often be uninspiring, leading to food waste.
To avoid the leftover rut, Australian Lamb has a few ideas on how to jazz up leftover roast meat for more exciting dinners.
Try this lamb leg korma for a slow-cooked roast curry feast on one night and a flavoursome dhal, pie or omelette the next.
Serves six, preparation: 30 minutes. Cooking: Five hours and 30 minutes.
- 1 x 1.5kg leg of lamb
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 brown onions (peeled and chopped)
- 8 cloves garlic
- 70g ginger grated
- 1 large red chilli
- 100g blanched almonds
- 550ml water
- 150g yoghurt to finish curry
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (roasted)
- 2 tsp coriander seed (roasted)
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 handful mint
- 2 tbls almonds, chopped
- 1 chilli, sliced
- Half a lime
- Steamed rice and lime wedges to serve
1. Preheat oven to 150oC. Blend the spice mix ingredients into a powder using a mortar and pestle and set aside.
2. Blend the almonds and water together in a food processor and set aside.
3. Heat the coconut oil in a large oven proof pot on the stove, season the lamb with salt and then fry until golden brown for 3 - 4 minutes. Remove the lamb from the pot then add the onions, garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook on medium heat until lightly golden. Add the spice mix, give a good stir, then add the blended almond mixture.
4. Place the lamb back into the pot and baste it with some of the sauce. Cover with foil and place in the oven to cook at 150oC for 5 hours.
5. When the lamb is soft to the touch and it's falling off the bone, remove the pot from the oven, mix the yogurt into the sauce and season with lime juice.
6. Serve with mint, cucumber salad, extra yoghurt, lime wedges and steamed rice.
7. For extra wow factor, garnish with fried curry leaves, chopped almonds and sliced chilli.
Lamb korma dahl with naan
Reheat leftover curry with cooked chickpeas + serve with naan
- Naan bread
Lamb korma pies or pasties
Scoop leftover curry onto pastry and fold.
Brush with egg and poppy seeds and bake until golden.
Serve with chutney.
- Puff pastry
- Poppy seeds
Sri Lankan style lamb korma omelette with herb salad
Make basic egg omelette and fill with reheated korma.
- Green chilli
- Mixed herbs
Recipe and leftover ideas from Australian Lamb.