WORLD-CLASS trains and Japan go hand-in-hand. So what better way to explore the country than via rail with a train expert as your tour guide?
Scott McGregor’s Railway Adventures’ latest tour takes you through the very best of Japan’s main island, Honshu.
Departing November, you’ll see Tokyo, Sendai, Nigata, Hakone, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Inuyama, all decorated in the deep reds and golds of autumn.
The Australian Railway Historical Society’s vice president of the NSW division Chris Harding is your guide. He’ll take you on the bullet-train from Tokyo to a steam train across the heart of Honshu, plus several railway museums and bullet-train research centres along the way.
Tour highlights include:
- Extensive rail travel using your JR Green Class (first class) Rail Pass, including several journeys on the iconic bullet trains
- Steam train travel on the famous heritage railways of Yamaguchi, Oigawa, and the Banetsu lines
- Journeys on the Sagano Forest Railway, Tozan Mountain Railway, regional expresses, subways and a vintage tram charter in Hiroshima
- A cruise around the Matsushima Islands, Hiroshima Bay to Miyajima, and on a white water cruise on the Nagatoro River
- Paying homage to survivors at Hiroshima, Sendai and Yokohama
- Exploration of historic temples, castles and cultural sites in Tokyo, Kyoto and Himeji
- Visits to the unsurpassed modern railway museums in Tokyo and Kyoto
- Sumo wrestling demonstrations in Tokyo and wacky fashions in Harajuku
- Japan’s unique food culture at fine restaurants, including a traditional full-course Japanese Ryokan dinner, and a night with The Singing Chef in Sendai
The 16-day tour departs November 5, 2019. Prices from $10,785 per person, twin share.
There’s also the option to extend your stay with a post-tour trip to the Yokohama Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery for a special Anzac memorial Service.
Details – railwayadventures.com