THIS pecan cinnamon spiced fruit cake is sure to be a standout at Christmas dinner – or even as a baked gift.
- 3 and ½ cups mixed dried fruit, such as cherries, currants, dates, apricots and cranberries.
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- ½ teaspoons salt*
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup brown sugar*
- ¾ cup flour, sifted*
- 1 cup mixed nuts such as almonds, Brazil nuts and pecans
- Extra pecans to garnish
- Optional: Ginger to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease and line a spring form cake tin.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until combined.
3. Pour into the cake tin and top with the pecans decoratively.
4. Cover the top with alfoil and bake for 40 minutes.
5. Remove the alfoil from the top of the cake and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until cooked through yet still moist.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Tip: To make individual cakes, divide mixture into four small tins (or ratio to size tin) and bake for the same time.
Edited recipe from Changing Habits.
*For a healthier cake, Changing Habits recommends using organic ingredients as well as seaweed salt, Rapadura sugar and Emmer Wheat Flour in place of salt, brown sugar and flour.