Woolworths are recalling strawberries across Australia after reports a customer was rushed to hospital after he allegedly swallowed a sewing needle.
Needles have since been found in packets in two Woolworths stores in Victoria and another in Queensland with an urgent recall underway.
The farm where the strawberries were sourced sells to stores in Queensland, NSW and Victoria.
A Woolworths spokesperson said the ’Berry Obsessions’ brand has been “temporarily withdrawn” from shelves wherever they are supplied.
‘‘Woolworths takes food safety very seriously and we are looking into these claims with our supplier,’’ the supermarket said in a statement.
Queenslader Joshua Gane posted his friend’s ordeal to Facebook, along with a picture that shows a metal pin poking out of a strawberry.
He and his friend had the punnet of strawberries on Sunday afternoon from the Strathpine Centre Woolworths, about 20km north of Brisbane.
Queensland Acting Chief Superintendent Terry Lawrence from the State Crime Command said police believed the contamination was deliberate.
"[It's been done] obviously to injure somebody," he told the ABC.
"Police have spoken to the person who operates the farm and they are assisting us with our inquiries.”