BAGS of frozen vegetables are being pulled from supermarket freezers across Australia following a deadly bacteria contamination scare.
Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) today warned vulnerable people to check their freezers for recalled frozen vegetable products that are possibly contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Acting FSANZ chief executive Peter May said pregnant women, people whose immune systems are compromised (e.g. cancer patients) and elderly people, are at a much greater risk from Listeria infection.
“The products affected contain a particularly dangerous strain of Listeria and are being recalled as a precautionary measure to ensure consumers are protected, but particularly vulnerable populations,” Mr May said.
“While many people will follow cooking instructions properly (which should kill Listeria bacteria) we are aware that some people eat frozen vegetables straight from the freezer and there is a risk of some people not cooking produce properly.”
Consumers who have the product in their freezer should return it to the place of purchase for a full refund or dispose of it. Consumers who have eaten the product and feel unwell should see a health professional.
- Woolworths - Essentials snap frozen mixed veg 1kg: Carrots, peas, corn, green beans & potatoes – National distribution Best Before 19 MAR 2020 through to 24 APR 2020
- Woolworths - Bell Farms Steam Veggie Carrot Corn and Broccoli 3pk 450g – National distribution, all stock
- Black & Gold Corn Kernels 500g – National distribution Best Before all dates
- IGA - Black & Gold Mixed Vegetables 1kg: Carrots, peas, beans & corn – National distribution Best Before all dates
- ALDI - Market Fare Peas, Carrots and Super Sweet Corn 1kg – National distribution
- ALDI - Market Fare Corn Kernels 1kg QLD, VIC, WA and select NSW stores Product of Hungary (only)
- ALDI - Market Fare Mixed Vegetables 1kg QLD, NSW, ACT, WA Packed in Belgium from Imported and Belgian Ingredients (only)
- ALDI - Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Broccoli and Cauliflower 450g – National distribution
- ALDI - Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Corn and Broccoli 450g – National distribution
- ALDI: Only products with country of origin of Belgium, United Kingdom or Hungary, all other countries not affected.
For further information contact:
Woolworths 1800 103 515 , ALDI 1800 709 993, Metcash 1300 135 690.