TWO city centre concerts featuring top Australian performers will herald the start of a month-long program of Christmas festivities in Sydney.
The simultaneous concerts in Martin Place and Hyde Park on Saturday, November 25 at 6:30pm will feature performances by Christine Anu, a range of surprise artists, and children's entertainment from Jimmy Giggle, Bananas In Pyjamas and Peter Combe.
The concerts kick-off 30 days of festivities, including concerts, light projections and carols to celebrate the Christmas season in the city.
Martin Place will feature live performances by Jay Laga'aia, Christine Anu, the Australian Girls' Choir and other surprise guests. The concert culminates with the arrival of the sleigh bringing Santa and the Lord Mayor to light the tree and start the fireworks finale.
Christmas on the Green at Hyde Park will be packed with free entertainment for the whole family. Performers include Jimmy Giggle, The Listies, Bananas in Pyjamas, The Fairies, and children's entertainment legend, Peter Combe. Stockings filled with goodies will be on offer, Santa will stop by for a visit and fireworks will light up the sky.
"Christmas is a special time for welcoming everyone to our city, bringing together our diverse community and spreading joy throughout the season," Lord Mayor Clover Moore said.
"From the angelic sounds of choirs in Pitt Street Mall and free concerts in our city's villages, to Sydney's biggest Christmas tree in Martin Place, there is something for everyone in the city this Christmas.
"Sydney sparkles with sunshine at this time of year and with dozens of events in the city and its villages, it's a fantastic opportunity for everyone to enjoy the festive season with friends, neighbours and family."
Other Christmas 2017 highlights include:
- Martin Place Christmas tree - The centrepiece of the city's Christmas celebrations has been the Martin Place Christmas Tree for the past 46 years. Standing more than 21 metres tall, the tree will be adorned with 60,000 tree lights, 300 baubles of up to half a metre in diameter and an illuminated 1.5 metre treetop star. Visitors can also share a festive message on the tree for everyone to see.
- Lights and projections - The Pitt Street Mall will portray the joy of the season as nearly 80,000 lights twinkle overhead every evening until January 2.
- Family-friendly ground projections will light up Customs House Square and Martin Place from November 25- December.
- The village Christmas concerts at Alexandria (December 2), Surry Hills ( December 3), Rushcutters Bay (December 9) and Roseberry (December 10), will be packed with children's entertainment, live music, fireworks and a visit from Santa.
Carols and choirs
- The city will swell with the sounds of the festive season with the Choirs in the City program entertaining visitors and shoppers. Carollers will perform every Thursday, Saturday and Sunday evenings in Pitt Street Mall and every evening at the Martin Place Christmas tree from November 25 to December 21. The Salvation Army Band and Choir will perform at the Martin Place Christmas tree from December 22 to 24.
- The renowned Christmas at Sydney Town Hall concert on Tuesday, December 19 will be a memorable night for the whole family. Enjoy traditional carol singing, festive music and readings and the sounds of the magnificent grand organ in Centennial Hall.
- KIIS under the mistletoe - KIIS 1065 is inviting visitors to the Hyde Park and Village Concerts to 'KIIS under the mistletoe' for a chance to win a $500 shopping spree. Visitors snapped 'KIISing their Christmas favourite' under the giant mistletoe can use the #SYDXMAS hashtag to enter the draw. Little ones can also post their letters to Santa at the North Pole at the special Christmas post box.
- Variety - The Children's Charity - the city's charity partner for Christmas, Variety - The Children's Charity - will sell merchandise and Santa showbags at all six Christmas concerts. The national charity provides funding and support to individuals, organisations and hospitals to improve the lives of children with disabilities and special needs.
- A Xmas Walk, hosted by Variety, will be held at Pyrmont Bay Park on December 3.
For details visit sydneychristmas.com.au