Recipe: Roast Leg of Lamb with Rough Mint Sauce
Friday, 15th December, 2017
THE Sunday roast – it has to be a lamb leg, doesn’t it? I like to keep things simple and serve it with a rough mint sauce, which adds just the right amount of fragrant lift.
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour 25 minutes, plus resting
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 rosemary sprig, finely chopped
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon and juice of 1
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lamb leg, bone in, shank on
- (about 2.5 kg/5 lb 8 oz)
Rough Mint Sauce
- 75 g (2½ oz/2½ cups) coarsely chopped mint leaves
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F). Stir the garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, half the juice and olive oil in a bowl and season.
2. Place the lamb in a roasting tin, drizzle with the oil mixture and rub well all over. Season and roast the lamb, basting occasionally with pan juices, for 1 hour 20 minutes–1 hour 25 minutes for pink, and another 15 minutes if you prefer well done.
3. Cover the lamb with foil partway through cooking if it browns too quickly.
4. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes, then squeeze over the remaining lemon.
5. To make the rough mint sauce, blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender to a purée and season to taste. To serve, carve the lamb and serve with the pan juices and the rough mint sauce on the side.
- Edited extract from Matt Moran's Australian Food by Matt Moran (Murdoch Books, RRP $45.00). Photography by Will Meppem.
Tuesday, 13th February, 2018
LOVE is in the air for residents at Royal Freemasons Benevolent Institution villages.
In the lead up to Valentine's Day…...read more