Say hola to Santiago with new direct flights
Friday, 19th May, 2017
SANTIAGO'S amazing culture, food and architecture are now easier to see with LATAM's new direct flights from Melbourne.
From October, the carrier will fly non-stop from Victoria to Chile three times a week.
Chad Carey, co-founder of Australia's leading Latin American specialist Chimu Adventures, said the new route will open up Santiago's colourful neighbourhoods and European heritage.
"Add a day or two and you will see that Santiago is so much more than just a convenient way to set foot in Latin America, that it is, in fact, an immensely interesting city with its incredible culture and food scene."
According to Mr Carey, these are the top 5 things to do in Santiago:
- Explore the colonial heart of Santiago: Visit Plaza de Armas, the city's central square and the heart of the city's old colonial core. The pretty as a picture square is shaded by trees, loved by socialising locals, artists, buskers and vendors, and framed by some of the city's most striking buildings, including the Metropolitan Cathedral and Governor's Palace.
- Enjoy the vistas: The Parque Metropolitano with its highest peak San Cristobal Hill, is a wonderful first-stop to get an overview of Santiago and breathtaking views of the Andes.
- Sample Chilean wines: Casablanca Valley, famous for its many wineries and towns full of Chilean traditions, is right at Santiago's doorstep. Vines were first planted here in the mid 1980's and the area is known for its cool climate white wines.
- Eat like a local: The La Vega Saturday morning markets are vibrant, buzzing and colourful. Fresh produce is mixed with souvenirs and household items, and plenty of food treats to boot.
- Valparaiso: Known as the "Jewel of the Pacific" and the cultural capital of Chile with festivals every year and a number of street artists and musicians, Valparaiso is a highlight of any Santiago visit. The historic quarter of Valparaiso was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2003 based on its unique architecture and urban design.